Inspire Athletic is proudly the Brisbane sweat testing centre for Precision Fuel and Hydration.
Why is sweat testing so important?
- Everyone loses a different amount of sodium in their sweat, from as little as 200mg of sodium per litre of sweat, to as much as 2000mg per litre.
- Combine that with differences in sweat rates and athletes' net sweat/sodium losses over a game or race can vary significantly.
- A 'one-size-fits-all' approach to hydration just doesn't work.
What are the benefits of having a sweat test?
- Performance maintenance. Optimising fluid/electrolyte intake maintains blood plasma volume, which prevents the drop off in performance that occurs when an athlete is dehydrated.
- Performance enhancement. Studies have shown that acute pre-exercise sodium loading can actually increase performance, by increasing blood plasma volume.
- Reduced cramping.
- Hydration awareness and self-management. Athletes who've taken the Precision Fuel and Hydration Sweat Test are far more aware of their own hydration requirements.
- Increased safety from the extreme downsides of dehydration (hyponatremia).
- More detailed information allowing athletes to plan a better nutrition plan for their race.
Here’s some common questions that we get asked about the session...
What is the purpose of the test?
To obtain your personal sodium concentrate of your sweat. This information determines how much sodium you need to put back into your body lost through sweating to ensure your performance is not compromised during training, racing and working if you work in hot and humid conditions.
How is the test conducted?
The test is performed at rest and is non-invasive so all you do is bring yourself. The painless test is conducted using some small electrode pads attached to your arm, this stimulates the sweat glands and produces the sweat required to be analysed.
Where is the test conducted?
At Inspire HQ, Wakerley (Brisbane), 4154
How long does the test take?
Allow one hour including completing a questionnaire. The length of the test is determined by your sweat rate.
When are sessions held?
Sessions can be held during the day Monday to Friday and on a weekend for your convenience. We will contact you once payment is received to schedule your appointment at a time that works for you.
Do I need to do anything to prepare beforehand?
No, just come along wearing clothing that allows access to your forearm.
Does it matter if I’ve previously exercised on the day?
What information do I receive from the test?
A personalised plan on your hydration and sodium requirements and information on how to accurately calculate your hydration.